Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Ex-priest in Colorado Charged with Sexual Assault

A former associate pastor of my home parish is charged with sexual abuse:

Timothy Joseph Evans, 43, will face a charge of sexual assault on a child by one in a position of trust. The indictment alleges that between 1995 and 1997 Evans sexually assaulted a 16-year-old boy. Evans was a priest during this time and was assigned to the Spirit of Christ Parish in Arvada as a parochial vicar.

According to the indictment, the teen was questioning his religious beliefs and as part of his research, checked out a book from a local library on the satanic bible. The teen's father, who was active in church, found the book in his backpack and suggested that he meet with Evans.
Denver Channel 7


The victim is about my age. I am wondering if I knew this teen. If not, I knew a few kids like him.

Some hideous allegations follow, which I will not repeat here.

News to me is that the archdiocese of Denver is alleged by one victim to have been aware of Evans' predatory acts:
Evans is facing similar charges in Fort Collins, where he served as a priest of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish from 1998 to 2002. He worked at Spirit of Christ Parish from June 1993 to June 1996.

One alleged victim told police that the diocese moved Evans from the Arvada church to the Fort Collins church "due to an incident where Father Timothy Evans inappropriately touched a juvenile male."


This was still under the tenure of now-Cardinal Stafford, though if such a claim is true Archbishop Chaput's chancery could have known of this situation.

I have little memory of this man; what memories I do have are confused with the head pastor or Evans' successor, who was arrested for stealing from the offertory. My grandmother was impressed enough with him to arrange for him to say her requiem mass in 1997, after his tenure at Spirit of Christ ended.

Very sad.

No comments: