Monday, June 13, 2005

Balada Para Un Loco

I appear. Rare mix of the ultimate tramp
and the first stowaway on a trip to Venus:
a half melon on the head,
a striped shirt painted on the skin,
two leather soles nailed to the fet,
and a taxi-for-hire flag up in each hand.
You laugh! But only you can see me:
because the mannequins wink,
traffic lights give me three colors sky-blue
and the oranges at the corner grocery stand
cast their blossoms.
Come on!, that, half dancing, half flying,
I remove the melon to greet you.
I give you a flag and I tell you...


Thanks to the joys of Rhapsody Radio, I heard a wonderful tango dance on the Astor Piazolla channel, "Balada Para Un Loco." Not being competently versant* in Spanish. I was wondering whether this might be a localist tango singing the praises of one place, but instead it's about a dancing lovecrazy woman, who of course also deserves a song. Here are its lyrics with a translation.

As darkness sets in your porteƱa loneliness,
by the shores of your bedsheet I'll come
with a poem and a trombone
to keep your heart sleepless.


Having been brought up on the Music Man, it's hard picturing the trombone as a romantic instrument, and it would be rather difficult to recite a poem while playing a trombone. But this just proves how crazy this character is.

One of my great regrets is missing a tango lesson combined with a Theology of the Body lecture given by Katerina Zeno at my home parish. Despite regularly perusing the parish bulletin AND being on a local TOB mailing list, I didn't hear about it until the day after it happened.

I would like to see a well-made film of a bride and groom dancing the tango at a wedding banquet. Better yet, I would like to be the groom in such a dance. Of course, modern wedding clothes, especially the bridal dress, would seem to make a tango impossible, but I know of several couples who have made their wedding clothes by hand so a tango-friendly wedding dance is certainly not out of the question for such people.

One of my local cousins, a woman who departed this world far too young, was an Irish dance instructor. The girls have always significantly outnumbered the boys in her dance troupe. This might be because there is so much distance and rigidity in the traditional dance. I worry that Jansenism has infested the dance's tradition, so tango is a very interesting contrast to it.

*Dictionary whinge: curious about the history of the word "versant," I looked it up on onelook.com. Webster's claims my intended use of it is archaic.
Come the revolution, Webster's Dictionary shall be first against the wall!

No comments: