Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy days ahead

Looking at my posting statistics, I was surprised to find that 2008 marks the least active year for Philokalia Republic since its first year in 2002. There are perhaps a dozen half-finished posts in the queue and perhaps five dozen blog comment debates I’ve started but never completed.

I thank my long-time readers for continuing to patronize this blog, and I assure newcomers that more productive days lay ahead.

For friends, acquaintances, and strangers curious about my situation, I offer the following explanation in a spirit more of bewildered amusement than of self-pity.

My surprise healing two years ago was followed by an intense ear infection, a bruised facial nerve from a foolish attempt at pain relief, a jaw cramp, and later a full body cramp following an unwise decision to ignore my stiff body’s warnings and push a stalled car.

Adequate attention from medical professionals probably would have addressed this problem. Unfortunately, my complaints were ignored, misunderstood, or dismissed.

One year ago I was quite optimistic. This was in part because even minor advances made me feel like normality was in reach.

Feeling like a character in a Far Side cartoon, I fear my guardian angel has been baiting the Almighty into pressing the Smite button.

As it is, I have been stretching to the point of distraction with little benefit for the past year. I have only received competent expert attention in the past two months.

However, the immense improvement in recent weeks has left me cursed with the hope that 2009 will be my year of return to full-time work. Yes, right when the economy has tanked.

So I ask for your prayers for the New Year, that I may be free from spite and from stiffness, and that a redemption may result from this persistent, if minor, cross.

And again, I thank you for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Prayers on the way. Glad things are looking up for you, Kevin. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!