Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Quomodo Sola Sedet Civitas

Two of the people in my favorite links, Askel5 and Romulus, are residents of New Orleans, and I would be remiss were I to neglect recording their own comments on their home city's woeful situation.

Askel5:
women are in short supply in the city

Romulus:
Especially the right kind of woman. Had a tense conversation yesterday with one of the wrong kind. She was touring my neighborhood yesterday as part of an out of town fire department team, surveying homes "to see when people can be allowed back". That pissed me off, and these state-funded jobsworths had to listen politely while I informed them that at least someone is on to the use of this disaster to engineer a massive state power grab, and how sorry I am that they lend themselves to these abuses cloaked as helping people, that all we need is for the power to come on, and that in a free country people are allowed to assess danger for themselves

[...]

To continue the power-grab riff: the state is peddling hysteria every chance it gets. I stopped by Baptist Hospital also, to see if I could locate my father's cardiologist. The entire multi-block region was cordoned off. The blue-clad rent-a-cop (festooned with cool cop gear, including embroidered patch with the word "International" on it. "Huh?") was of course creepily friendly and polite, but selling his story that the area was so dangerous that "we shouldn't even be out here talking". He was all set up with trailer (generator humming away), sun shaded area, crates of Gatorade and canned food, and the Offlical Line: the air inside the medical office building is so toxic even Federal Professionals don't dare enter (being sold on the story themselves, I don't doubt it), because Mold Kills, you know; that we're surrounded by Deadly Sewer Water (Ed Norton I guess flirted with dangers Ralph and Alice Cramden never suspected), and the entire zone is a toxic biohazard. "You don't really believe that, do you?" was my response; I do believe I actually scored a hit with that, as he admitted that if he feared for his life he probably wouldn't be there either. As I drove off, my last words to him were: "I hope you get to go home real soon."

Source


Romulus records his adventures in evading patrolling helicopters here. He has also resolved that come the next checkpoint, upon being asked if he has any weapons he will reply: "Why, do you think I need one?"

No comments: